New chick behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Slotred, May 11, 2011.

1. Slotred

Slotred Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2011
    My four Australorp hens are two weeks old today, and as a new chick person I have a few questions about their behavior. I hope some of you with experience will give me some thoughts or comments. The smallest one keeps to herself most of the time. The medium-sized one takes things in stride, but the two largest ones spend some time going at one another. They stand toe to toe and stretch to their tallest and give each other the eye until one of them blinks. Then they go about their business as usual. They tolerate handling well--except the smallest one, and you'd think I was pulling her toenails out by the way she squawks when I pick her up. I intend to continue to hold her once a day to see if she gets more accustomed to being handled. The four of them get the zoomies occasionally, and sometimes they squawk at one another until I fuss at them. "Hey! Cut the crap! Just like I did when my kids were growing up. Unlike my kids, they settle down when I fuss at them, and they return to eating, drinking, sleeping and pooping.
    Seems like normal activity to me, but I'd like to have your thoughts and comments.
    Thanks very much.

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Sounds normal to me! Baby chicks seem to have the memory span of a goldfish.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by