New Chick Brooder~~~~~Pics~~~~

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brkuk, Feb 20, 2009.

1. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    This is my 4 Week Brooder. It is 4x4x2 high. I used old fence boards and vinyl fence for the top that are tongue and groove for easy removal. My Chicks love it. 4 more weeks and they are out of the basement. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, they look happy & sweet!

You might consider cutting out a section in the lid and putting in hardware cloth; they need to get air circulated to them. That's very imortant. But that's one fancy looking brooder!

ETA: Just noticed that little roost in there - CUTE!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  3. brkuk

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    There are holes in each side and the top sides off for getting them out. I open the top and put the light on a grate during the day when it is warmer.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, I see - sounds like it's working out really well for you (and them) - looks super nice!!

5. spencer creek

spencer creek Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Wow, that one put's mine to shame! I like the window. Very nice. Looks pro-built.

6. brkuk

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    the plexglass Windows put me back $4.50 for both. the whole box was $9.25 with vinyl floor. That's thinking GREEN. My DW is a big GREEN thinker. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  7. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If my DH would just stop complaining long enough to build me one of those, we'd both be happy. My set up is sooooo not working out.

Great job!

8. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    thats one nice brooder!! [​IMG] but i must ask about ventilation is there any?

9. brkuk

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    Quote:I also get them out twice a day for about a hour to fly and strech their wings.

10. Bigboy's Chicks

Bigboy's Chicks New Egg

Jan 21, 2009
    Central Pa.
    Great looking brooder. I think a lot of people would like to have the plans for your brooder. Could it be possible to give us a material list with plans, if you have the time. It is no doubt the cleanest and best looking one i have seen. Again great job. [Only if you want to give the plans.]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by