New chick, Bumps on leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mighty44, Apr 1, 2015.

1. mighty44

mighty44 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Good morning :)

We raised chickens 30 years ago, and have just bee convinced by a five yo granddaughter to get some now, lol. We purchased 10 on Sat from TS and have had one come down with lumps on it's legs. It isn't thriving as well as the others also. Sits and is complacent to just keep doing that. Does eat/drink and bathroom fine.

I have researched threads for foot problems on this site and the web, and can find nothing that looks like this. Chick is only a few weeks old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The others are not showing any signs of this and I have this baby isolated to get some rest, as the others naturally run all over it. I am using the electrolyte and probiotics to the water, and a medicated chicken feed starter. Never did any of this years ago, but figured we would be proactive when we were purchasing these. The granddaughter is not going to do well if we lose one of her "family".

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading and have a great day,

mighty44

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    If my quick Google is correct, I believe it *could* by dry fowl pox.

"Dry pox starts as small whitish foci that develop into wart-like nodules. The nodules eventually are sloughed and scab formation precedes final healing. Lesions are most commonly seen on the featherless parts of the body (comb, wattles, ear lobes, eyes, and sometimes the feet)."

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disviral.htm

I have zero experience with the pox, so (if that's what it is) I hope someone can help you.

Do you know if TSC vaccinates their chicks?

MrsB

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Also,

[​IMG]

MrsB

4. mighty44

mighty44 New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Thank you so much for the quick response and link. It does sound very much like a dry pox. Everything focuses on bumblefoot, and I didn't think this was what it was. I will call TS and see what the answer is on the vaccinations and go from there. Back in the old days we just had hens that laid eggs and the process was natural and not as involved as this, lol. Being a surrogate "hen" has it's struggles :)

Have a great day, mighty44

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by