New chick can't hold up head or stand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lynette, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

I posted in a different thread about my OEG Bantam hatching babies. I noticed that one of them can't turn its head and it is cocked to the side. It also can't stand up. Is there something I should do for it? I know it won't make it, but I wasn't sure whether to let nature take its course and help it in some way.

2. Lynette

Lynette Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to bring her in the house this morning. Her mother wasn't keeping her warm and she was dying. I have a heat lamp on her now and she is coming around. She will eat and drink, but I have to hold her to the food and water. Is she ever going to get better? Please help

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can try adding vitamin B complex in her feed. You can purchase it at any pharmacy. Crush a couple tablets into powder and sprinkle it over her feed and let her eat it. Hopefully you should see improvement in 7 days. If not, I would stop treating and let her take her own course of action or cull if she deteriorates.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by