New chick defending against older chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tomato lady, Sep 14, 2009.

1. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I just got 7 chicks today. I have my brooder in the small coop (8' x 6'). The brooder doesn't have a top on it, but it has a light and is warm. I have some older chicks in the coop outside the brooder. I have a light on for them too, even though they don't need it now. If I turn it off they jump in the brooder so it is easier to leave them with a light of their own.

Anyway, I put the chicks in the brooder today and one of my 8 week old chicks jumped in and pecked at one of my new chicks. That tiny baby jumped up and pecked at the agressor's face. I was surprised. Do you think that chick thought its mama was bringing a treat? Or, was it saying "Don't pick on me!"

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    and so the pecking order begins!!

Any possibility the younger chick is a roo?

3. tomato lady

tomato lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    I don't think it is a roo. They were sexed at the hatchery, but there is always a chance. The baby is only about 5 days old. Maybe it will be "the queen" when it is grows up. Right now a Black Sex Link holds that title in the big coop.

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I don't know why the little one would peck the bigger one. I hope you cover the brooder to prevent the bigger ones from getting in there and causing great harm to the little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by