New Chick Drinking to much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2hot2chicken, Jul 29, 2011.

1. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Just got my chicks a few min ago and right out of the box the smallest chick went right for the water (has electrolights added) and has not stopped drinking. Im starting to get a lil worried. I knew they would be hungry and thirsty but it just seems like the poor thing has drank his weight in water already????

Can chicks drink to much water???
    Should I move it way away from the water?
    Right now I just opened 1 side of the box and put it in 1 end of my brooder with the food and water close by and a heat lamp right over the box and food and water. They can go past the food and water to have a lil room in brooder but I figured this wouldn't be as stressful to do it that way for a lil while. Then later today I will open up the whole brooder to them. and turn on my other heat lamp in the other end.

Brooder is a 125 gallon long aquarium so a 150 watt lamp on each end works great and they have the middle to get outa the heat if they want. they usually end up with food and water on 1 end and they sleep at the other end.

2. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Let it drink!

3. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

They can be very dehydrated after being in a box for 48 hours. I had one chick with severe pasty butt when I took her out of the box (caused by shipping stress and dehydration), and after I got her butt cleaned, she pooped and went straight for the water and drank and drank. I know she stood there for a solid five minutes drinking non-stop. Once, another chick tried to get in front of her at the waterer, and she pushed it away and kept drinking. Usually after a chick has pasty butt, it continues for several days and you have to clean them a couple of times a day. She never had it again. I think the chicks know when to drink and when to stop.

4. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    Thanks.
    She stopped now finaly.
    None appear to have pasty butt. All are eating or have eaten a lot of chick start soaked in warm water. Had their fill of water and they are now under the heat lamp at the other end of the cage quietly (for the most part [​IMG] ) sleeping.
    I see no signs of any deformities and all appear to be active once they got warm (its about 70-72 in the shade where they were).

I and my girls are so happy! I'm gona let them rest a while in the warmth and then I'm gona take em out 1 by 1 and do a thorough once over. I wanted them to get some fluids and warm and relax a lil before messing with them to much.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I luv fuzzy butts!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so glad you finally got them! It is very stressful waiting for chicks to come in the mail! I know your girls are happy, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by