New Chick/Duck Mom :)

I have always been an animal lover from dogs, cats, horses, reptiles, etc., and my daughters have shared this love since they were little, as well as an avid gardener. I am presently working from home as a judicial secretary/paralegal due to the current pandemic and decided to take this opportunity to add backyard chicks and ducks to my list of loves. Of course this is with the loving support of my boyfriend, who did not hesitate to jump right in with planning and building the coop to accommodate our new flock, and his daughter and our best friend. ☺ My eldest daughter, who is an RN, has also just started her own backyard flock in SC with the help of my grandsons (12 & 10), who are thoroughly enjoying this experience and learning so much. My youngest daughter is a scuba instructor/photographer-videographer/marine conservationist, who has taught me so much about sustainability and conservation, is vicariously following our journey as she and her husband are presently in an apartment in WA and unable to have a backyard flock at this time.

The baby chicks (11: 2 Golden Comets, 2 ISA Browns, 2 Production Reds and 5 Midnight Majesty Marans) and ducklings (2: Pekin) are flourishing so far as we got them Sunday, April 5, 2020 from our local Tractor Supply. Best I can tell they were perhaps a week old - give or take a day. We felt like we were adding animals to the Ark two by two, lol, but had only gotten one of the Marans. An hour later, I said, darn... should have gotten one more to even it out, so our best friend went back to get one more, however, the store said he had to get four! 😉 Well, the more the merrier. 😊

I have been reading everything available and taking notes, especially about the specific breeds we have and the requirements for the coop and also talking with friends that have extensive experience with their own flocks. Daily we handle each of them to gain their trust and have been letting my 2 small dogs get to know them too. I'm finding some especially have bonded with us already as I can just put my hand down palm up and Houditch (nickname for the 1st and only escapee of the brooder crate) jumps right on to come out and be snuggled. 😁

The countdown is on to get the coop up so our new babies can move in when they are ready! We are looking forward to many happy years with our backyard flock and enjoying this new adventure to the fullest!! 😍💖

Attachments

• 20200405_160359.jpg
    20200405_160359.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom