New Chick Equipment and Tips

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moonlitfarms, Mar 5, 2008.

1. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    I don't have time to read all 103 pgs of post and there is no sticky that I see sooooooo........

I have questions

1.What is the sugar water for?

2.Do you have to give electrolytes and vitamins? If so how long and what kind?

3.You start at 95 degrees for the first week then drop 5 degrees every week till when?

4.At what age can you add them to older chicks?

Please add any info I may need for successful mothering.

Thanks Everyone in Advance [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    1.What is the sugar water for?

Only if you have a shipment of chicks that aren't doing so well, or need a quick boost. I never used sugar water and my chicks have done just fine.

2.Do you have to give electrolytes and vitamins? If so how long and what kind?

You'll get differing opinions here, but I don't use them - basically same answer as #1 for me.

3.You start at 95 degrees for the first week then drop 5 degrees every week till when?

Until you get to 70 degrees - about 5 weeks. By 6 weeks they are pretty well feathered out and if the weather is warm you can move them out.

4.At what age can you add them to older chicks?

Once they catch up close in size they can go in with older chicks/chickens. I'd recommend keeping the 'tweenies' in their own pen but where the older chickens can see them and interact through the fence. Then once they are more of a size where they can hold their own, they can go in with the older ones. I just integrated my BOs with my older girls when the BOs were around 10 weeks and it went pretty well. Expect some sparring and picking as they work out the pecking order. It seems to be less dangerous for the little ones if you are adding several at a time, rather than one or two newbies in with the older ones.

Other tips - watch your young chicks for pasty butt. Basically you are looking to make sure their poo doesn't stick to the feathers around their vent. If their vent gets pasted up where it is blocked, that can kill the chick.

For the first few days up to a week, keep the chicks on paper towels to help them gain their footing. I put a couple inches of pine shavings down and then paper towels on top. Then after a few days I just remove the paper towels.

Good luck and enjoy your chicks!

3. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    What do you do for pasty butt?

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Just clean their bottom off with a little warm water and a paper towel. If it gets really bad you may have to trim the feathers very carefully with some scissors, but usually just a little warm water wash does the trick. Then pat dry as well as you can and return the chick quickly under the light so it doesn't get chilled.

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    You can wash it off or pick it off. I usually pick it off. If you end up pulling feathers off, do it with a quick pull, coz it hurts, but then the poop has less to get stuck to in the future.
    I agree with what arlee453 says.
    Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by