New chick from NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by portia324, Mar 9, 2014.

1. portia324

portia324 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    Hey everyone! We just bought our first coop. We live in Onslow Cty, NC. My boys cannot wait until we get the birds. Thanks for all the information shared on the site.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your new chicken adventures and welcome to BYC!!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck finding those first chicks!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are you looking for any particular breeds?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC.

6. portia324

portia324 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    You know, I am still looking at all the write ups on all of them. We want to use them for just their eggs and only have room for 6 maybe 7. No rooster just hens. I have four boys and they can go through some eggs. It is all so new to me.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    For figuring out what breeds you want, besides the member reviews in the breed section, the Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of popular breeds http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html It does depend on if you are looking mostly for eggs and you are willing to replace your flock every couple of years when they slow down laying, or if you are looking also for pets and will keep them long term. In NC you don't really have weather extremes so probably don't have to worry about comb types for winter hardiness. If you are looking just at the number of eggs, the various commercial Red Sex Links (they go by different names depending on the hatchery, Red Stars, Golden Comets, ISA Browns etc) for brown eggs, and the White Leghorns for white eggs are probably the number one choices. Some popular brown egg laying breeds that don't lay quite as well but usually will lay over a longer period of time and are popular starting breeds are Sussex, Wyandottes, Orpintons, Delawares, Australorps and Plymouth Rocks. For white eggs, the colored Leghorns, Ancona and Minorcas and for a colorful egg basket Easter Eggers / Ameraucana for blue/green eggs and Welsummers or Marans for dark brown eggs.

8. Fluffers

Fluffers Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

9. portia324

portia324 New Egg

Mar 9, 2014
    Thank you for the site. That is very helpful

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by