New chick---Growth on neck?????????????????????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hippichick, May 21, 2008.

1. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    [​IMG]

Don't know if this pic thing will work, but here goes. This chick just hatched a couple of hours ago. It has a growth on the right side of the neck, kind of above the wing. Just wondering if anyone knows what this is. I'm kinda new at this, so I've never seen it before. I had to help it to hatch. It pipped but was having a real hard time getting out, and the egg had alot of liquid in it. I could see the chick blowing bubbles, it was so liquidy in the eqq. Don't know why, as the humidity is not above 65, and the other chicks are hatching just fine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Pic is way too dark to see anything, you might want to try and repost it.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I was able to enhance the pic...but I am not seeing a "lump" ?? Pretty little thing tho! Is it a Rhode island red?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Thanks, Deb for lightening that up for me. I'm thinking maybe it's nothing, cause it looks like maybe another one that just hatched has the same thing. These are bantam polish chicks. I've never hatched them before. Stupid question, but could this be a Polish thing? Or do all chicks hatch like this, and I've never noticed before? This is only my 4th or 5th time incubating. I've had 9 chicks hatch so far in this batch, and most hatched overnight. I just noticed this on these two chicks that have hatched since this morning. It's on the right side of the chick, right above the wing, and kind of on the side of the neck. I know I'm gonna feel like an idiot when someone says all chicks hatch this way, but I've just never noticed this before......

Paula

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Maybe it is the crop and you are just not used to seeing it because the "fluff" hides it. ???? [​IMG]

6. hippichick

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking because it's in that area. But I had another one hatch since then, and it didn't have it. But they're fine otherwise, so I guess it's nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by