New chick has bulge at its vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdahl88, Feb 20, 2017.

1. tdahl88

tdahl88 New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Chick has a pink bulge at its vent, first time for us and the only one to make it thus far. What is it and what do we do[​IMG]

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, it's prolapsed vent. It's caused most likely by pasty butt clogging the vent, then by constipation as the poop backs up in the intestine. The chick is straining to poop, and that causes the vent to collapse.

You need to get some mineral oil or coconut oil into the chick to break up the clog. Then you need to use Preparation H on the "bulge" to shrink it. Don't try to stuff it back inside. Coconut oil on the vent with Prep H will help heal it.

Hold the liquid oil under the chick's beak and it may take a big drink on its own. If it is too weak to do that, try squeezing a few drops of mineral oil into the right side of its beak.

You will know for sure the chick is constipated if it chirps loudly and madly while squatting and straining and only passes a tiny poop or very watery blob. It's in a great deal of pain. Either treat it or cull it so it doesn't have to suffer.

4. tdahl88

tdahl88 New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    I'm will head to town to get prep-h. Hope it works. It came out of the egg like this I didn't know what was up. Thought it was just deformed to to incubator conditions.

5. tdahl88

tdahl88 New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    I don't think it's prolapsed vent at all. It's like it wasn't formed fully you can actually see it's vent on the bulge, and at the base of it it's about the size of a dime. His stomach comes down and looks like the bulge is part of it

6. tdahl88

tdahl88 New Egg

Feb 19, 2017
    Also ozzing alot of start green thick slime from vent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by