New Chick has Green Spot on Chest

CarterKoopa

Chirping
Apr 22, 2016
Michigan
Hello
I just got some new chickens yesterday and one of them is having some problems. She is very lethargic (gotten worse since yesterday), where she is always lying down with wings droppy. I have tried giving her some sugar water and electrolytes, but they don't seem to be helping. Upon closer inspection I found that she has a large green spot on here chest which I have attached below. Is there anything I can do to save her?
Thank you for any help .
20190425_160844.jpg

She hatched Monday from a hatchery, she got to me on Wednesday. There was Grogel in the package, so that could be why it was green. Her crop feels squishy. I've not seen her eat, but I have given her some electrolyte water.

My guess is that she was not formed correctly when developing in the egg, and she has crop/digestion issues. I bet she filled up on Gro Gel and is not able to process it further into her body. You could try massaging it like people do for grown chickens who have sour/impacted crop, but I don't think this is a good sign......

I would try to dip her beak into water again and again with periods of rest in between. Then some crop massage may help. The Grogel become solid after it dries, and must be accompanied by fluids. If the GroGel was available without water as she was shipped, she may have an impacted crop. When I use GroGel with baby chicks I will add water to it to restore the gel to it often. In fact I would offer all chicks fluids. They can live for 3 days without food and water, but the longer they are without, the more symptoms of dehydration and the more pasty butt you may see. Many chicks die of shipping stress.

Back
Top Bottom