New Chick- HAS SPOTS!! *PICS*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by suzettex5, May 15, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    We just hatched this chick a few days ago. We have 2 more just like it. I just thought it was cute and wanted to share. All the black spots you see are real, and so far are still visible on its older siblings, who are almost 2 weeks old now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a bit of the black on its wing tip- I just realised it is 1 week old today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Its' from my own little cross breed hen and Jersey roo- funny thing, it has same clutch siblings that look 100% like Jersey Giant chicks! I'll never figure out chicken genetics, but waiting to see what color is going to pop out is fast becoming one of my favorite past times.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    dominant white... a leaky gene.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:"Leaky gene"???? Is that bad? How does that happen?

Mom was a cross of buff laced polish and barred rock and dad was a black jersey giant. Mom is all white with the black spots, yet the babies are coming out 50/50 so far between the white spotted chicks and the ones that look just like black jersey giants.

Does that mean the spotted ones will look just like the mom growing up? The mom has a head poof like a Sultan (i think its a sultan who has a poof?, either way, its like half the size of a normal polish hair-do) I will be interested to see how each baby turns out.

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Hi,
    Earlier this year I hatched out 100 mutts for layers. I was surprised that several of them were white with black spots. They are now feathered out and they still have their spots.

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    leaky means the colour which suppose to be covered by white leaks through and shown in the phenotype.

My guess your polish white lacing is due to dominant white, crossed with barred bird (I assume the rooster?) your hen will be barred covered by dominant white (if your barred roo was a double dose for barring).

This crossed with a black roo will produced those chicks you have... and they will grow out like mum's colour.... out of curiousity, those that hatch like dad, any of them have white spot on top of their head?

6. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Quote:I agree, I think the chicks with spots will look just like mom, since mom looked like them when she was a chick.

Here's the known genetic rundown- "grand pa' was a golden laced polish roo (pure) and gramma was a Marans (black and white barring) Current mom of spotted chicks is all white with very liight gold lacing on chest, but has the black spots here and there. Current dad to spotted chicks is either a pure Jersey Giant, or an Australorp (I am 99% sure Australorpe, but he was sold to me as a jersey, the yellow has disapeared from the bottoms of his feet and is now grayish pink, and his body type is wrong for a JG) His chicks from a pure JG hen look 100% JG though, yellow feet and all, so?????

None of the chicks hatched have a spot on their heads that I have noticed, but I would have to look again to be sure. What does that signify?

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Songster

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:forget about the white spot... I just read the ancestry.... if it was the other way around ten your chicks with white marking/ spot on the head will be roosters...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by