New Chick- hatched yesterday- VERY lethargic!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Livinwright Farm, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    Can anyone help me? one of our newly hatched chicks is barely moving, it peeps every once in a while, but that is the extent of it's actions... What could be wrong with it?!?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Some chicks just fail to thrive, which basically means they never learn to eat or drink. Or they may be born with a defect that does not allow them to live. I guess it is the old saying, if you have living animals you will have dead animals.

That does not mean give up. If it is not drinking, try dipping its beak in water, even if you have done that before. Something else I would do is take a medicine dropper and put some sugar water just inside the tip of its beak. I have used hummingbird liquid but just some sugar dissolved in water will do. The idea is to give it something that will give it the energy to eat and drink on its own.

Good luck!

3. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    thanks for the great info... When it hatched it had a weird bulbus area below the normal belly area... it didn't look normal compared to the other chicks... it passed shortly after I posted this topic... [​IMG] bumming, but know that it is a fact of life, and am moving on & waiting for any others to hatch out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by