New chick HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hfrey, Nov 2, 2015.

1. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    So my new baby chick hr he's this morning at 5 but when I came home from work the incubator was up to 105.6 and the poor thing was on its side eyes closed. When I took it out it started chirping , the baby is breathing heavy and its weak. When I picks up its head it bobs around a little bit buy now after several minutes of being out of the incubator it's chirping loud and trying to stand up. Did the baby chick just get over heated? Will it be okay. I gave it some water and it drank it fine.

2. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    It sounds like he got too hot. Is he still in the incubator or have you put him in the brooder?

3. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    He probably got to hot you may have to adjust your brooder so it's not so hot. If he gets over heated he could die so I would check on the temperature every couple of hours to make sure it's ok.

4. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Okay. I put it in a box with towels in it and a towel over the box to keep it warm. I just checked on it and it's walking but it's head is bobbing still after 2 hours...... It lays down after a while and sleeps... I just hope the baby won't die.

5. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Double thread.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's very good that he is drinking water, you might try to get him polyvisol infant vitamins from a drug store (or walmart). 2 drops 3 times a day can give him a boost. Try giving the drops in a small container of water so he drinks it all up. You could also try feeding him some plain yogurt, and finely mashed hard boiled egg yolk, moistened a bit with water to make it easier to eat. He may feel like eating those and he needs the hydration and nutrition to make him stronger.

If he is the only chick you can put him in a brooder box with a small stuffed toy to cuddle with, and a mirror so he thinks there are other chicks. I think he would do better in a brooder than the incubator. Brooders are larger and you can put the heat lamp over just one side so he can move away from the heat if he feels too warm. Hope you will update, so we can hear how he is doing.

8. hfrey

hfrey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2015
    Update: I left him in the incubator over night to help him heal and go back to his normal self. When I woke up he was chirping and lifting his head and trying to stand. No weakness, bobbing , nothing like that. I just put him in the broader with the other baby chicks ( 1 : 1 week old and another 1 : 3 days old) they are pecking not at him a little bit but then go on there way. The baby chick seems like it's trying to learn to walk. When I tries , it falls and goes to sleep and starts chirping then will try again. Seems good now, just the walking part he's trying to get down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by