1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new chick help?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by butch1309, Apr 11, 2016.

1. butch1309

butch1309 New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    I did some reading on this already but wanted some more input. we have 6 buff orphington and 2 mallards about 5 to six weeks old.. I was wanting to get 2 silkie bantam from TSC. they are new chicks and I was wondering if the quarantine protocol was still the same or if a week or 2 would work? One other question having 8 chicks I would only need 4 nest boxes correct? I thought about 5 to 6 anyways but just wanted some thoughts. thanks any info would be appreciated!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Be careful mixing large breeds and silkie, sometimes it doesn't work out. The silkies end up bullied. I personally wouldn't worry about quarantine. The biggest concerns at that age is cocidiosis and perhaps Mareks. I also think that the tractor supply requires you to buy 5 chicks for a minimum.

Nestboxes are about one box for 3 hens.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  3. butch1309

butch1309 New Egg

Mar 6, 2016
    I wondered about that too with the pecking order per say. and we had to buy 6 chicks originally but supposedly once you have them you can buy one or two at a time. thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by