New chick help.

horsechick

Songster
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Eaton, Ohio
Hi,
I may have jumped gun on helping a chick out.
Pipped and nothing after for about 8- 9 hours.

Removed part of top of shell, membrane was getting dried out, humidity was still 70%.
Soaked with some warm water, wrapped in warm paper towel. Left back in, checked later, removed some more egg shell.
He finally popped out no yolk, looks ok, BUT

he is still kind of "shaped with a curve like egg"
He is curved to the left, can't stand up, falls over to his left and then ends up on his back. His left eye looks closed, (probably because he ends up laying on it when he falls.) He is dry, fluffy, and peeps.
But just not getting the standing and straightening out.

What should I do?
I have been lifting him up and putting him on his feet, he tries and then falls to the left.
Even his little neck/head is tucked to the left.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
hit.gif

Thank you,
Angela

When they hatch they are wet and exhausted. It can take several hours before they do much more than **flop around a bit*.

Keep it warm, in the hatcher, and keep an eye on him
smile.png

Hi,
He's dry, been out since yesterday now. We hatched 3 before him and moved them to a brooder w/light etc.

He's just not "right"
I have been sitting him on his bottom, feet under himself, and holding his little neck straighter, he tries to stand and then goes tumbling to the left, lol!
Finally going onver.
Anyway, DH said his necks looks a tad straighter tonight, (I'm at work so can't see him)
Maybe my physical therapy is working.

I wouldn't know how to "end" it for him if I had too.
I thought he might get weaker and die, but so far he hasn't.
When I'm off I will get photos and post them. Maybe that would help.

We had one more egg with him to hatch. Both White silkies and after candling the other one after I opened him and found no movement, it had died.
So he was the last one for this "week"

Thank all very much,
Angela

Angela,

I would keep dipping his beak in water and put him in the brooder. I think he will probably just take him some time. I've had some that were large chicks and were so tightly scrunched in the eggs it just takes the a few days. I do put Poultry Drench in their water because it has electryliks and vitamins

let us know how it goes.

jackie

Hi,
I put him in the brooder for a few minutes and th eother 3 that hatchedwere coming over and pecking him.
peck his foot, peck his head, peck his wing, run off, come back etc.
I was afriad he would lay there and he'd get pecked to death.
He cannot walk.

Should I go ahead and put him in there n e way? just watch?
Thanks,
Angela

angela, I would not put him in there if they are just pecking on him. Leave him in the bator where it is warm.
They don't need food for the first three days, I believe, so at least give him that.

I had one hatch on its own last week that just wasn't strong enough to survive. I don't know why that happens, but I think it's just a part of the hatching experience. Not to say that yours won't make it or anything, but things like this happen, with hens hatching them, too. The weak ones get pushed out of the nest. I learned a lot from the weak chick that hatched last week. It's not easy to deal with, but it's a part of life and nature and it just happens. Best of luck with him, I do hope it gets better.

Back
Top Bottom