New chick help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duskwolf, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Duskwolf

Duskwolf Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    NC
    I just picked up 15 1-2 day old chicks today and about 30 minutes after putting them in the brooder one chick suddenly decides that she no longer wants to walk and just layed on her side as far as she can from the brood light. I panicked when i picked her up and found that she was pretty cold so i made a quick heater for her (ceramic cup with water put into microwave and cloth around it to keep her from getting burned) and she immediately curled up next to it. But it seems that her toes are starting curl and her legs are getting really stiff and she wont eat and is really lethargic. Does she have some sort of condition or birth defect? Is there something i can do for it? The other chicks are fine it seems its just the one. And this started happening about 5-6+ hours ago. The profile pic is her when it started and the below is just a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may be showing signs of shipping stress. I would get some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes, and start dipping her beak into the water while letting her swallow. It may be too late, but if you can try to get fluids into her quickly all though today, it's possible that she has a chance.

1 person likes this.
  3. Duskwolf

Duskwolf Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    NC
    Unfortunately it is to late, she just passed away not to long ago. Would a 30 minute drive put a lot of shipping stress? I went myself and picked it up at the hatchery.

But ill definitely keep the SaveAChick in mind in case i have this problem again.

And she would drink water just fine for me if i held her near or set her near just wasn't eating.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Probably she was weak to start with, and it wouldn't matter what you did. These things happen with baby chicks--it isn't unusual to lose one. Sorry for your loss.

5. Duskwolf

Duskwolf Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    NC
    That may have been it and Thank you. I try not to get attached right away but that is not always easy to do. Thank you for the advice also.

6. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    Are your others doing fine this morning? It sounds like the little one was sick before you got her. I'm hoping all the others do well for you!

1 person likes this.
  7. Duskwolf

Duskwolf Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    NC
    The others are doing just great this morning, all happy, energetic and chirppy, and no sudden deaths during the night and none that seem like they are sick.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by