New chick in the coop

Honey B

Chirping
Feb 1, 2015
Georgia
What an awesome amount of chicken information on one site. I am new to chicken keeping, got my first two laying ladies in October. I am excited to learn from the experts about all things chicken!

What an awesome amount of chicken information on one site. I am new to chicken keeping, got my first two laying ladies in October. I am excited to learn from the experts about all things chicken!

Welcome to our flock! Check out the learning center, managing your flock and predators and pests. There's so much to learn here that even long time chicken owners keep coming back, even if only to share their experiences and advice. We embrace and encourage all newcomers!
Happy chicken keeping!
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of ladies did you get?

Thank you for the welcomes! I already feel right at home. The learning center has been one of my go to spots for the past few months. I believe the articles really helped me to make some informed decisions before getting my small flock of golden comets from a good friend. I was spoiled by starting with two hens that lay the perfect number of eggs for our household. Although I have caught the chicken bug and will more than likely add a heritage breed to the flock this spring.

Thank you for the welcomes! I already feel right at home. The learning center has been one of my go to spots for the past few months. I believe the articles really helped me to make some informed decisions before getting my small flock of golden comets from a good friend. I was spoiled by starting with two hens that lay the perfect number of eggs for our household. Although I have caught the chicken bug and will more than likely add a heritage breed to the flock this spring.

Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color at hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Good luck with your flock.

Golden Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the offspring be sexed by color at hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Good luck with your flock.

Red gene rooster with a silver gene hen? Not to hijack, but could you explain this please? I'm still trying to understand more about hybrids.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom