New Chick In The Henhouse!

Hens_And_Chicks

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Ohio
My name is Karla - I stumbled across this forum today quite by accident while searching for some information on a chicken breed - I am thrilled to find a group that loves to "talk chicken"!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am fairly new to chickens - had them (Ohio Beauties) when I was a kid and was totally convinced I did not like them. I decided to get my son involved in a meat pen project for the fair last year and I fell in love with them more than he did. I raise 12-20 broilers a couple of times per year for my freezer and fair project and I jumped into raising chicks for egg production last October - I got 3 Barred Rock and 3 Dominques and have hatched 14 Barred Rocks. I was completely hooked when I found out our fair has an open poultry division!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

15 pullets (6 just starting to lay) and 4 cockerels from my November hatch.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I currently have Barred Rocks and Dominiques - just put 15 Light Brahma eggs in the incubator for a March 15th hatch and am planning to incorporate a hatch of Buckeyes once my Brahmas are hatched and I will also be hatching some bantams as soon as the eggs are available from my friend.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

I was researching information on chicken breeds today and found this forum quite by welcome accident - yay!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I have 2 horses and enjoy trail riding when I get a chance. I live just south of Wooster Oh and have access to Mohican State Forest and Malabar Farms for riding which is awesome. I also have 3 cats and enjoy scrapbooking when I have the time. I collect Breyer Model Horses and make miniature model scale tack - I also show at model horse shows which is very competitive and have amassed numerous championships in several divisions at local, state and national competition.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I live in the country, am a 4-H Advisor, married for 22 years and have a son who is 10 years old. I am a certified Pharmacy Technician and most recently, a chick-a-holic!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom