1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick introduction to flock question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NYchickster, May 27, 2016.

1. NYchickster

NYchickster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Upstate NY
    H All,

I am getting ready to put my 6 week old chicks in the coop as I don't have a separate pen for them and they are getting too stinky and messy for the brooder.
    My question is ...... I plan to partition off part of the coop with chicken wire for them, and let them hang out there for a few weeks til they get bigger. But how high do I need to make the partition? My coop is about 8' tall. Do I need to go all the way to the ceiling? The chicken wire is 4' high but I am afraid they will fly over that. The current chicks in the coop are about 9-10 weeks old.

Thanks for any advice!

2. WildWithRoxi

WildWithRoxi Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    ok i think you should put up the 4' chicken wire and it will be fine because if the chicks find the courage to fly over they are ready to meet the flock and just keep an eye on them and they will probably do everything themselves if they dont fly over than let them in afer two weeks !

hope all goes well and let me know if you need any help !!!

roxi
    xxx

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. WildWithRoxi

May 26, 2016
    sorry about the big writing i didnt realise !!!

[​IMG]

4. WildWithRoxi

May 26, 2016
    sorry about the big writing i didnt realise !!!

[​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd go all the way up...
    one or other of the groups will go over 4' pretty easily, whether they are really ready to meet or not
    .....and they may not realize how to get back over.

What I did to make a temporary wall to split my 6 foot wide coop:
    Stretch and attach the ends of CW between a couple 8 foot long 2x2's, accommodating the width of your coop.
    Use Jclips to join the 2 lengths of CW where they meet lengthwise.
    Couple of screws to attach 2x2's to coop walls.
    BUT I have two people doors to enter either side of split coop....
    .....also have 2' high thin plywood wall at bottom,
    with mesh 'windows' and adjustable doors for smallers to go back and forth between main coop and their 'safe zone'.
    Hope that makes sense.

6. NYchickster

NYchickster Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Upstate NY
    Thank you both for the replies!

I was afraid the older girls might get over the 4", so I will probably put 2 rows of wire to go all the way up.

Aart- I do get what you're saying and that sounds really cool. I have limited carpentry skills, though I do think I can incorporate some of what you did...
    I only have 1 man door, so the partition will be to one side of it as you enter. My other concern is if I make it all the way to the top, I need to make an access point to tend to their food water and get them out to place them in an enclosed area in the run. I need to make an opening somewhere, but still haven't figured out how to do that... ugh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by