1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick is not doing well

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by citygirlfarmer3, Feb 25, 2016.

1. citygirlfarmer3

citygirlfarmer3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    Alexander, AR
    We just picked up a new group of 4 chickens and 5 ducks plus "males added for warmth". One of the males added for warmth is not doing well. How hard should I try to keep this baby alive? Not moving. He was found away from the heat lamp (and cold). When I moved him under the heat lamp the others trampled him. Right now he is under my desk with a space heater and a warmed rice bag. Very lethargic. Doesn't drink. He has been this way for the 5 hours we have had them. Am I doing more harm than good dipping his beak in water? Thanks Becky (I hate to see him this way)

2. CochinLover1

CochinLover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    Do you have any cod liver oil? This really helps chicks when they are lethargic. Only a couple of drops. If you don't have that, a fish oil? Dipping the beak in water is important, he needs to stay hydrated if you want to give him a fighting chance.

3. citygirlfarmer3

Oct 18, 2015
    Alexander, AR
    Thank you I have some Cod Liver Oil tablet I cut open.

4. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    That will work. This will definitely increase his chances. Tell me how he does.

5. citygirlfarmer3

Oct 18, 2015
    Alexander, AR
    Sorry to report he didn't make it. Becky

6. CochinLover1

Aug 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I am very sorry to here that. I hope your others stay healthy.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by