New chick is outwardly healthy, but very lethargic.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jklw88, Feb 22, 2014.

1. jklw88

jklw88 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2014
    I got my first chicks Thursday morning, shipped from Meyer on Tuesday. Except for one pasty butt, they were all very healthy and active. But since then, one chick seems to be declining. I noticed yesterday that she was lethargic and today she seems to stumble easily when walking around. I can't figure out what the problem is. What I've observed:
    • she eats normally. Medicated chick feed on Thursday and Friday. Today I mixed some corn meal in because I read that it can help with pasty butt (has been a problem for a couple of other chicks, but not for her).
    • I haven't specifically seen her drink on her own, but she drinks easily when I put her beak near the water. She knows where the waterer is. Thursday and Friday I offered diluted Pedialyte and today plain water.
    • She often rests under the heat lamp, standing up and snoozing by herself. She's not as motivated to huddle like the others do.
    • She's very passive about being picked up. Her eyes are open and she'll look at me, but not much reaction otherwise. When I lower my hand back in the brooder, she doesn't jump off like the others. Just stands there.
    • She's still somewhat vocal, but yesterday she was holding her wings out a little and chirping a lot. It's definitely less today than yesterday.
    I know this just sounds like a sleepy chick, but it's the stumbling and the decline that concerns me. I don't suspect coccidiosis, because the bedding isn't moist, the other chicks are healthy, and she has a perfectly clean vent with no diarrhea. I had Meyer vaccinate the chicks for Marek's. What else can I do?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    welcome to BYC try giving her sugar water and moisten the feed with it too. not soggy just moist. it may perk her up enough to get over the shipping stress. make it baby bottle warm.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sometimes they just don't make it.

4. jklw88

Feb 7, 2014
    Thank you both. I got her to take some sugar water but no warm, wet food. And it seems to be getting worse---I found her on her back under the heat lamp.

I was prepared to lose a few to shipping, disease, birth defects, etc., but it's frustrating that conditions seem optimal and she's dying for no apparent reason.

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First week can be hard, hang in there.

6. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats about all i know to do. just keep pushing the water and food. i had one that refused to eat and i used to raise baby birds so i tried to feed it like i did them which was taking a pinch of the wet food and putting its beak in between my fingers and kinda moving them up and down. some food would work through. there are instructions on tube feeding on here. . did you tap on the dish to mimic the beak sound?

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Can you get save-a-chick? The green and orange packets. Probiotics and electrolytes. That's what I was instructed to do when one of mine seemed mopey.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  8. jklw88

Feb 7, 2014
    The feed store near me said they carry something equivalent (Lifelyte? Life Line?), but unfortunately I couldn't get there before they closed. I've been offering her the Pedialyte but even with her beak dipped in it, she's not very interested.

9. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I'm sorry about you sick chick. I know it's not an easy process but you seem to be doing everything you can and that is what's important no matter what the outcome. Best of luck

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've read that baby vitamins without iron work too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by