New Chick just laying around

Tenderft chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Minnesota
We just got 10 cornish cross on Tues. Tonight noticed one just laying and not looking right. Feathers matted on underside. Just sleeping. I have been able to get it to drink a couple times water with electrolites in it. But still just laying and sleeping. Any suggestions. Temp here is close to 100 so not using a light right now.

aloha tenderftchick, Chicks are fragile. If you have 9 doing well, congratulations. You are being attentive and caring. I would separate the one. In the chicken world, a sick or inferior specimen is immediately open to abuse. So find it a small, safe place away from drafts, with a light if it seems to huddle, and plenty of fresh water, chick starter, and peace. It may still pass. The important thing now is to keep a close watch on the others. If another starts showing the same symptoms, you have a larger problem. Check back in to this site and someone will come to your rescue, or feel free to email me and i'll give what advice i can. [email protected]

We have had it pretty good so far. Never lost a chick yet (in 5 years of chickens, but we have only had about 25 chickens in that time.), other than to dog attacks. What you said is what I figured also. I just saw her drinking on her own so that is a plus. Will get her her own nest box now and let her rest up with food and water. I think may have just not liked this heat, that and forgot their light on this morning when I left for work had to send hubby back home to turn it off and care for the babies.

Don't beat yourself up. You are doing the best you can and, unless you have absolutely NOTHING else going on in your life, mistakes will be made. I broke routine yesterday and walked my dog at a different time and somehow slipped and forgot to feed him dinner. Until nearly 9 p.m. I have never done that in my 35 years of animal care and I felt like the worst owner on earth! I abused myself terribly, not stopping to think I have just returned from 6 weeks of caring for an ill parent on the mainland (i'm an islander) and am recovering from fatigue, stress and sadness.

Just having these tiny creatures in your care is stressful, requiring a change in routine, more chores, intense attention. You and your husband sound very caring. Give each other a smile and, when you get through this time, reward yourselves (maybe a double scoop of really delicious ice cream and a nice walk or favorite old movie?) You are doing a good job.

Thanks. Hope all is better with the family. We have had the extra stress of dealing with my mom's dog who has severe allergies that she doesn't treat so I have been trying to resolve them within my capabilities. Better but not the best yet.

Back
Top Bottom