New Chick Looks Really Bad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bayerchicks, Dec 2, 2010.

1. bayerchicks

bayerchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    We ordered chicks and they came in this morning. They were shipped yesterday. We lost 2 in transit and 1 looks really bad off. His eyes are always closed. My hubby has been dipping his beak in some sugar water all day and the poor baby looks sooo sad [​IMG]:hit:. This is our first time ordering and I do not want to loose another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if my pics look odd. This is my first time and I didn't know about re-sizing until the last pic.

Can anyone tell what kind of chick this is too? I have some like it that are not sick. I ordered white leghorns, buff orpingtons, and ameraucanas. They also included males for warmth, so I have no clue. It has a darker spot on the back of his head.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't know where you live or where they were shipped from, but I'm wondering if it's due to the cold(which could be why the others passed in transit).
    I would make sure to keep it warm and watch that the others aren't picking on it. Make sure the water is warm, but not hot that you are giving the poor little thing.
    If you have some electrolytes, I would add some to the water and dip it's little beak in that just to try to help boost it up a bit.
    I think I would try boiling an egg, mashing it up and trying to entice him to eat that.
    As far as breed, I would guess Easter Egger.
    Good luck and hope your baby comes around.

3. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    They came from Texas and I am in Louisiana. I thought it would be best because it was the closest Hatchery I found. Do I feed the whites too or just the yellow?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Just boil up and mash the whole egg.
    It's probably due to cold because it has been in the upper 20s here the last few mornings and probably about that in Cameron where Ideal is located.
    I sure hope your baby is OK. [​IMG]

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Sad. When they don't open their eyes, it's not a good sign. I wouldn't continue with the sugar water. Move on to vitamins in the water or like the other poster mentioned giving him/her electrolytes. Boiled egg is a great idea too.
    I want to say it is a Buff Orpington, but the legs look a little greenish/brown. I'm not familiar with Leghorns. And I'm not seeing the "cheeks" for it to be a true Ameraucana (though some can be born without them). So I basically gave you no answer! A lot of help that was.
    Best of luck to your chick!

6. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I had two chicks die of the same thing in my last hatch. [​IMG] So it wasn't because of being in transit unless you count going from the incubator to the brooder that are both in the house. Plus I'm in florida and temps were in the upper 80's. I did all the things previously mentioned and found them dead the day after they started sleeping standing up. Mine looked just like the one pictured but a paler yellow. They were leghorns. Yours looks to be more buff colored so I would say its a Buff Orpington. I have a bunch of those too. The runt of the batch is doing just fine. so....[​IMG]

7. Pastor Mike

Pastor Mike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Redmond Oregon
    Make sure to tell the hatchery of your loss in transit.

8. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    I tried the egg but could not get it to eat. It did chirp at me when I tried. Any ideas?

9. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'll be honest, when they get to that point, it's not very good. The only thing I could see you doing that I have tried and it may help would be (and keep in mind everyone else may disagree, but if it will probably die anyway at least you tried)to put it on a heating pad in a box where it can still get plenty of air and put the pad on low and leave it in a dark place for a while. Sometimes my chicks just get overwhelmed with stress and need a "nap" period where they can get away from the light and be warm: similar to roosting under mom. If you get desperate and nobody elses' advice helps, as a last resort try this. Also, if you do try it, put one of the other least active chicks with it so that it is not alone and maybe the company will keep it stimulated. Maybe put a thermometer in the box and check every ten minutes or so? I know hydration/feeding is important, but this baby is not going to eat or drink on its own and some times simply being way over stressed can kill chicks. My babies honestly have sometimes needed a "time out" like I described to recuperate from too much stimuli...but do NOT put more than one or two little ones with it and make sure the box is plenty big enough..shoebox would work...because if it is going down, other chicks will step on it and smother it...

Keep in mind, though, that if it suddenly starts chirping really loud, something is wrong and check it! You will know the difference in chick "murmurings" and their "something is flippin' wrong!!!" sounds...murmurings sound like...murmurings. Something wrong sounds like distress. Also, all the well meant attempts to feed and hydrate can exacerbate the situation sometimes because taking it out of the heat every few minutes to force feed it is sometimes not allowing it any time to re acclimate its' temp. Think of it like a baby...if a baby is sick and you mess with it every few minutes it will become more exhausted and ill. I am all for once an hour hydration, but don't just mess with it a lot...

No offense by anything I said, just trying to help!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  10. bayerchicks

Nov 12, 2010
    Tangipahoa Parish
    Thanks Big Daddy. If she makes it until tomorrow and doesn't look better, I may go get a heating pad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by