1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chick Mama from VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dutchmother, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Dutchmother

Dutchmother Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    Hello! We were given a dozen chicks in March. I had a few chickens as a teen, but still don't know much about them! I have 3 sons ages 9, 11, and 13. We just moved into a new home on 20 partly wooded acres near the national forest. We want chickens for the eggs! I'm glad to 'meet' everyone here!

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Hi, welcome to BYC! Sounds like you'll have lots of fun with your new chicks. If you have any questions, just ask! Chickens are lots of fun, especially when you have lots of space to play with them. Do you know the breeds? Different breeds lay different sizes and colors of eggs. :)

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you with us. I'm glad you're enjoying your new flock and hope to see you around!

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Welcome Dutch!

We love pictures!!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dutchmother, and :welcome! Happy you joined our community! Looks like you've received some great advice and links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC! :lol:

7. Dutchmother

Dutchmother Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

I have no idea what breeds they are. There's black ones, brown speckled ones, and yellow-grey ones.

One of them was splay-legged and had curled toes, and I splinted the legs and made a boot for its foot, and it gets around great now, though it's not as 'froggy' as its companions. It eats and drinks, it just doesn't race across the tub like most of the others do.

They could all be roosters for all I know, which would be terrible because I don't have the heart to eat them! I'm not vegan or anything, but I see these more as pets who produce eggs! Lol!

We have them in a giant plastic tub because they hopped out of the kiddie pool we had them in after the first day. We are using a red lamp, and are feeding them medicated chick feed. We haven't adjusted the lamp or anything yet. They were born around March 18th.

We haven't built a coop yet, and I have a bazillion questions about them, so I'm excited to learn from this forum!

Thanks for the links!

8. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They're cute! When they are at least 6-8 weeks old or so, you can post pictures in the What Breed or Gender is this? forum. We'll be glad to try and help you figure out what you've got!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  9. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Sounds like you are taking good care of the injured one! I have a couple of suggestions, though. You should move them to a bigger bin, because at this age the temperature should be about 80 degrees F, or 26 degrees C. In a bigger bin, you will be able to tell if they are too hot or cold. In a smaller bin, if they are overheated you wouldn't be able to tell, because they have nowhere to escape the heat. Also, a bigger bin will prevent fighting and boredom. You can move them to a dog crate if you don't have a larger bin. In the meantime, the lamp could probably get moved up while they are still in the small bin. At hatching, the temp should be 90 or 95 degrees F. (32-35 C) each week, the temperature should be decreased by 5 degrees F.
    They are all so cute! Do you have names picked out? Like TheKindaFarmGirl said, posting pictures when they are a little older will allow members to tell you the breeds/genders.

10. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Cute chicks! Better get that coop built, they'll be big enough for it before you know it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by