New chick mama wanting your advice :)

14chickmama

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
I am getting 14 chicks the first week of march. This is our first time owning chickens
I've been reading and looking at videos online trying to learn about chickens. I got 13 assorted brown egg layers and 1 rhode island red rooster. I'm very excited to be raising them and so our my 3 kids. My husband has started building our coop and I'm going to start getting the brooder ready just have to figure out what I want to build it out of. I guess my question is, is can you give me any advice that will help me out being a first timer?

Your doing it... Read ask questions and ENJOY
welcome-byc.gif

chickmama how exciting for you and the kids
wee.gif

There are many good ideas for a brooder. We always use a big blue plastic tote from Home Depot or the like. Easy to clean, lift, etc. We keep two and rotate them in and out. We also at one time bought a huge water trough about 3x6 or so and that worked really well. Good luck and post pics when the chicks get home
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

I cannot believe I got into chickens at the age of 56. What took me so long? I love every stage of chicken life, from incubating eggs and hatching out chicks, or buying chicks from a feed store, gathering eggs from the laying pullets & hens, watching the roosters perform, discovering a hen is broody and letting her hatch those eggs and raise the chicks, to simply watching the activity of the chickens and laughing at their antics.

I didn't plan on getting a rooster, but once one of my so-called "pullets" turned into a rooster, I couldn't get rid of him. I am so glad I kept him. I now have "too many" roosters in my much larger flock. They're all characters and I haven't had any problems with this many roosters. Well, I don't mind their crowing, anyway!

Welcome into the world of keeping chickens!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!! I can't wait to get my chicks!! Neither can my 3 kids and husband. We are building the coop now. And I think were just going to build the brooder as well. I will definetly post pics I'm obsessed with pictures and now chickens and I think they'll go really well together!!
smile.png

Lots of things make quick brooders:

dog crates - I take mine apart put them end to end and tape the seam with duct tape so no little toes get squished. Cover with a wire or screen top.

Cardboard boxes - Big ones like for washing machines can be used. Just use something sturdy like saw horses to attach the lamp to.

Kiddie pools - easy to use, easy to clean. Just be prepared for escapees or rig something with cardboard to keep them from escaping.

Whatever you use, be sure to attach the heat lamp in 2 different ways. I use a chain, then also zip tie the lamp to something else. So if 1 way fails, there's a back up instead of a fire.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ga. This is the place to learn. I am pretty new too. All you have to do is ask and you will be helped. Everyone here is so helpful. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom