New chick mama with a question

HolyChickBantam

Chirping
Apr 8, 2016
Hey there, excited to join y'all at BYC! I'm so thankful for all the wisdom and advice I've already gleaned from reading through the forum. You've all helped me get through the first 24 hours of chick-parenting with much less stress.

I was so giddy bringing home our 3 Barred Rock chicks (pullets, hopefully!) yesterday and will add six more to the flock in two weeks (3 bantam RIR and 3 Easter Eggers).

I've been reading up on all things chicken lately but one of our chickie's potential pasty butt has me wondering what to do: I thought one had pasty butt, however when I went to clean it it looks more like an umbilical cord right under the vent. The vent is clear, whether it is poo or not, but I've caught the other two girls a little too interested in this chickie's rear (she has very yellow down on her bum so the umbilical cord or dried poo is very noticeable). I put a little warm towel on her bum but then noticed the vent was clear and it didn't come off easy so I stopped.

What do you all think-- poo or umbilical cord?

And should I try to pinch/snip the very straggly end so the other chicks don't pull on it?

Thanks for your help and patience, everyone! You make the road to raising chickens a lot smoother for us newbies!

The first pic is chickie's bum. The vent is not completely visible but it is definitely clear and clean. The "matter" in question is right below it.

The second pic is a proud mama's little ones resting between brooder escapades!

Last edited:
Upon further inspection (I am so worried about pasty butt!) I'm almost positive there is a bit of umbilical cord there (there's a rather stiff little bit at the bottom of the discolored part) so I won't be touching that, tho I will keep an eye on how they all interact (and pray that they all just get along).

Anyone have any idea how long until umbilical stuff falls off?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I would suggest re-posting your question on the "Raising baby chicks" forum for guidance - sorry, i don't have any experience in dealing with what you are describing.

Best of luck

CT

Back
Top Bottom