New chick mom...do I need to enclose my girls' run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gnocchi18, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Yes!! Or else bye-bye chickens

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, the fence should be sufficient

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gnocchi18

gnocchi18 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Seattle, Wa
    Hello BYC! I got four chicks almost two weeks ago. The girls are still inside under their lamp but I can see their move to the back yard on the not-so-distant horizon. We built their coop so that we will open the door in the morning for them and close it at night, but I am wondering if enclosing the run over the top with wire is necessary. The perimeter is minimum 6 feet high. The girls should be too heavy to fly so I'm not worried about them getting out, so much as keeping unwanted guests away. Thanks!!

2. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    Yes! My two month olds can fly up and sit on something that high. Plus that way they are yummy but hard to get to for the large birds that fly around licking their chops. Also we have seen predators during the day (not since we got our ladies but in the past) and we live in the centre of a big city.

My ladies like a solid cover for part of their run to hide under when the big scary news helicopters threaten to eat them. I have a big piece of old fabric I drape over for that.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

They might stay in....depends on the birds.
    Sometimes, even breeds that end up heavy and sedate, can be great fliers when young.

Since you only have four chicks, I think you would be heartbroken if you lost only one....and not having a top on does greatly increase possible loss.

Raptors come to mind, but also some fence climbing dogs.

I think runs without a top are for those people with lots of birds and very big runs, the sorts of people who don't mind if they loose one or two hens now and again.

4. sn0wwhite

sn0wwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    MN
    I sleep better at night knowing that there aren't predators getting into my run or coop and I live in the city but I've still seen foxes, hawks, raccoons and weasels in the area.

5. nan4848

nan4848 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Des Moines, IA
    I have heavy breeds and my youngest are 7 months old and they regularly fly up to sit on the run door when it's open which is 8 feet high.

A friend in Atlanta had a dog attack her chickens and one (Wyandotte) 2 year old hen flew on the roof of a garage to escape.

6. gnocchi18

gnocchi18 New Egg

Oct 2, 2013
    Seattle, Wa
    Thanks all for your feedback!! So helpful. We've moved the girls to the coop now, although they are locked up for the time being until we finish their run. Based on our neighbors with chickens, we've decided to partially enclose the run. There are some true free range birds in our neighborhood and they do just fine, other neighbors have partial inclosures to keep leaves and other tree debris off the run. I can't believe how fast they grow. We're enjoying them already!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by