1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cookinmom, Mar 14, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Hi All,
    I'm new to the forum, and a new chickie mom. I ordered my chicks from Ideal and they arrived last Wednesday, all in good shape. I ordered 10 hens, of seven different breeds, (not wanting to have roosters), and wound up with 17. 7 males were added for extra warmth.

I have the chick starter kit from McMurray, and had the babies in our workshop on a workbench. Yesterday they started trying to jump out. So I moved them into the henhouse, using the cardboard barrier still to make them a pen on the floor, with hay in it. (I didn't want them to jump out and kill themselves on the concrete floor.) This morning, I opened the door, and my little leghorn hen hops up onto the edge of the pen and perches there!

Are chicks always so athletic at such an early age? It's been 85 in the afternoons here, so I've been letting them play outside in their run for a little while the last few days.

I love this website.

Valerie
    St George, GA

2. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    Congrats -I am also a new parent of 32 peeps - Have also learned that they can jump and move pretty fast. I increased the barrier wall to 2 1/2 feet just to make sure they are safe. All the research that I did says not to let them outside till after four weeks or feathers?? Then again it's 40 degrees here in Maine. Maybe some more experienced members can clarify.

3. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Yes babies are very active! My chicks last April were all over the place. They kept perching on the waterers! Which I kept having to change all the time! Good luck with them![​IMG]

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Congrats!! yes they grow up fast & they learn quick

Enjoy your little ones,I'm trying to convice hubby to let me get a few more [​IMG]

Miriam

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Yes, baby chicks can jump pretty high at an early age. Can you put a chicken wire or hardware cloth cover on their brooder ?

To keep them from perching on the waterer, tape a funnel upside down on the top.

6. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Chick Starter pack - go to an Agway or feed store medicated feed is 19 cents a lb/ vitamins+ lyte pack 3.57 each ..no shipping cost -- Shop around your area and ya may find it even cheaper-- on Average at Agway chick feed is 9.57 for 50 lbs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by