New Chick Mom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Vina8, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Vina8

Vina8 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2011
    Western North Carolina
    My chicks arrived this morning from McMurray. These are the first chickens I have ever owned and am grateful for all the posts on this forum that have helped me immensely. In fact, I have had a hard time finding things to post about because every question I have had has been answered by doing a search. You guys rock!

I wanted dual purpose chickens, but primarily for eggs. I bought the minimum 25 chicks and was sent 2 free ones. The "mystery" chick is a Polish. They also sent me an extra B.O. I have a friend who agreed to take half of them. This is what I have now if they sexed them correctly:

5 or 6 Buff Orpington hens, and 1 or 2 B.O. roosters
    2 Rhode Island Red hens
    3 Barred Rock hens
    2 Red Stars

I dipped their beaks in water as I took each from their shipping box. They all are eating and drinking well and appear healthy. I covered the pine shavings with paper towels for a day or two. I have changed the paper twice today. Now that the 13 my friend took are gone, I hope the brooder stays cleaner. I put sugar and Quik Chick in the water. No pasty bottoms yet. Their poop seems to be mostly urine colored liquid so far. The temperature seems about right--the chicks are moving around a lot using most of the brooder box.

I am glad to know you all are there to help as I go through this!

[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, so sweet and it looks like you've got everything set up just perfectly for you! I see the little polish chick, I think.......You can't miss that little poof on their head.....So darned cute!

Take care and best of luck with your little chicks!
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by