1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Chick Momma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pixichik, Apr 20, 2016.

1. pixichik

pixichik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    Hi all! I'm new here, I've been browsing the forum for a while getting information before I went and got my chicks. I just got six fluffy additions to the family yesterday. I got five ISA brown, because they were the only sexed birds at TS. After reading several articles and looking over pictures I also tested my Barred Rock sexing abilities on a straight run chick. Crossing my fingers its a hen. :) It's my little gamble. I'm so excited to see. I have three chicks with pasty butt. Two just have little bits and not getting worse, one I spent twenty minutes last night cleaning up. Joy. Definitely didn't forsee myself on the business end of my chick the second day having them. We have a coop built and just got chicken wire and wood to build a run. Knowing me I'll have to make two or three more hardware trips before it's done. Lol. Here's some pics of the chicks and some close ups of the barred rock. Let me know if you think it's a she. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. pixichik

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

3. pixichik

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

4. pixichik

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

5. pixichik

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

6. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome
    You'll have to wait till the BR feathers in to tell the gender. If it feathers in mostly white, then cockerel. Mostly dark and black would be a pullet.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. pixichik

Apr 20, 2016
    Versailles, Kentucky
    [​IMG]

I put a stuffed puppy in the box with the chicks where they tend to bunk down to sleep and they love to use it as a roost, as well as sleep underneath of it. <3

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    MUCH to early to sex your chicks. Females generally have a dark wash down their legs & this chick does BUT things can change from day to day. When they are 6 weeks old post photos at "what breed or gender is this."

1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    poor stuffed puppy, I bet he isn't washable [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by