New chick mommy here with a flock of 15 chicks! A few questions.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaLee, Feb 17, 2013.

1. MamaLee

MamaLee New Egg

Feb 17, 2013
    Hi, I'm a first time chick mommy! Yay! Yesterday our family brought home our brood of 15 baby barred rock chicks from the hatchery. They said they were 3 days old. All of them made it through their first night and day! They seem to nap a lot, is this ok?

I've had 3 pasty butts, that I have to keep cleaning. 3 times today. Is this normal? I've put cider vinegar in their water and given them some corn meal. I've also put Vaseline on their bottoms. When should they stop getting pasty?

Another question...there is a runt. She is considerably smaller than the other chicks. We named her sleeping beauty because she always sleeps longer than the others. Sleeping Beauty favors one of her legs. She hangs out by herself away from the feeder closest to the heat lamp and sleeps, a lot. The other chicks step on her. She moves more slowly because of her limp. From what I can tell, her weaker leg looks the same as the other one. Tonight I began to worry about her because she just keeps sleeping. I brought her inside in her own little hospital box to observe her over night. I have a desk lamp with a 100w bulb shining on her box and of course feed and water. I have put one of her sisters in the box so shed have someone to snuggle with. Am I doing ok? I just want to make sure she makes it. Or at least giver her time to heal. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    My chicks tend to sleep when its nice and toasty in the brooder. Babies need rest! I have heard giving a bit of sugar water when the first arrive helps with there bowls. I think you are doing great, hopefully she will over come her leg problem. Best of luck!

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i can't offer you much advice regarding the one w/the problem leg. i think the number one thing with all chicks is to give them a range of temperatures to choose from. that allows them to regulate their temperature naturally. if they can't escape the temp because the whole space is heated - it tends to bring problems, even for an injured one.
    for food, i had most luck using the medicated chick starter. i didn't give any other food or treats until they were several weeks old. that seemed to keep them on an even keel. i was very tempted to give them treats, but i held off.
    it was always a case of sleep/run/sleep/run for the first week or so. it was a kind of all or nothing for them. they stepped on each other alot.
    my biggest risk came when they began to outgrow the brooder. i knew they were getting crowded but i thought i had some time. it happened in one day. first everything was fine & then suddenly i had three chicks seriously pecked & injured. i then had to come up w/a bigger brooder in a hurry. i put blu kote on the pecked ones wounds (great stuff) then things were fine again until they were big enough to go to the coop.
    i have read that pasty butt is related to temperature in brooder. not sure if this is the case or not. temperature was my challenge. i spent alot of time checking on this and changing things out. i think the next time i do chicks i will be a little more comfortable about it.
    i have a barred rock. she's a real kicker. a great breed. enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by