New Chick Mommy Rescues Half-Dead Baby at Feed Store - SAD

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bionic_chicken, May 3, 2008.

1. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Went to the feed store to get more starter for my 12-day-olds. They are my first and are doing so well. At the feed store, there was a little bantam or runt chick sleeping by itself. When I reached down to pick it up, it didn't protest at all and just layed in my hand. The owner said they got the chicks last Wednesday. This baby was so tiny, the feeder was too tall for it, and they were feeding huge crumbles. There's no telling how long the baby was laying in that spot. I told the owner I'd take the chick, and he said I could just have it. I took her home, and she peeped a bit, a good sign. She would open one eye at a time. I got her home and eyedroppered sugar water into her. She drank readily, although her eyes remained closed. She stood on her own once, but mostly stumbled backward, and slept. I then gave her aviacharge 2000, that went fine. Then pulverized starter mixed with water into a slurry. Seemed fine. Pooped twice, the latter, clear, with a few greenish solids. A little later, after picking her up, a lot of what I'd given her came bubbling out. I sucked it from her beak because she seemed to be strangling. She is now sleeping. Whatever position you put her in, she stays. I think she's crashing. I thought the nutrients would make a miracle in these last three hours, but I'm afraid I'm killing her with all my kindness. If you have any thoughts or advice, I would appreciate it.

2. bionic_chicken

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Mod, maybe this should be in Emergencies? Although I don't think she's going to make it...WHY did I do this?!

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    OH no...I don't have any advise that would be helpful to you because I am SO new to chickens myself but I applaud you for trying to save this baby! I hope she/he comes around. That is SO sad!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I think you absolutely did the right thing! It would have died had you not at least tried [​IMG] I think anyone here would agree with that.

5. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am the same way, too new to know what to do. My only suggestion is to get some Terramycin and put a little bit in the water.

6. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Is she warm enough? Try giving her some stuffed animal to snuggle up to. You did a great thing for her, so whether she makes it or not, at least she was loved!!! Bless you! Steph

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Your story is ours, too. Little Charlotte is a standard EE that was bantam sized due to what we think was Runting Stunting Syndrome (RSS). She was right by the door with lotsa cold drafts. Mom got her for free and took her home- she was covered with pasty butt. She is now big and healthy and pretty!

What we did was this: seperate your Tiny Little Chick (I'll refer to it as TLC because that's what it needs most) with a clear plastic barrier so it can see your other chicks but was on paper towels so you can moniter her poop and make sure she was eating. Another reason we seperated her was a) RSS might be contagious and b) we gave Charlotte warm mash and the other chicks wanted to hog it. Give TLC lots of heat and love. And, of course, TLC.

Good luck! I hope TLC makes as great a recovery as Charlotte did!

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Good luck with the baby. Make sure it has alot of warmth...sounds like you are doing everything I can think of to tell you. Keep us posted.

9. bionic_chicken

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Temp is 95-100. She's not good at all. I'm so sad. She drank a couple more swallows. Please pray for her. Maybe a miracle will happen, but I think maybe this little one is heaven-bound. Thanks for the warm wishes, peeps.

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    bionic, Charlotte was probably a one-in-a-million sorta survivor. Mom really just took her home so she could die happy (we had recently lost our first chick-internal problem). There's nothing more you can do- it's up to TLC and Momma Nature. Sending positive energy your way! Hope she makes it!

Good Luck, TLC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by