1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick mommy with a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scrapnfool, Mar 28, 2009.

1. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    First of all, I never knew how much enjoyment these little guys can bring! So fun to watch. I have been reading other threads but still have a couple of questions.

1. A poo question, sorry. I know there is the poo expert that I have read the information that was posted about every possible kind of poo imaginable. My suspicion is that it's a perfectly normal poo. My concern is that I can't tell if it is bloody or not. What's the best way to make sure short of taking a sample to the vet.

2. Terramycin - Do the chicks need this and if so, how often?

Also, I had no idea that these little babies would perch so young. The pics are of my 9 day old chicks. I noticed that they would jump up onto a mirror we place in the brooder and thought it might be time to place a perch inside. So we did and they love it! So CUTE!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Peeking into the newly expanding chicken condo. They are growing so fast, we had to add on to the brooder!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

WARNING POO PICTURE!!!! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    1. To me, it looks normal, but I'm by no means an expert on this...err...sort of thing.

2. Terramycin is an antibiotic, if I remember correctly. Unless your chicks are sick with a bacterial infection or disease, I would recommend that you don't use it. It may prevent them from responding as they should to antibiotic treatment if they need it later on in life.

Hope this helps [​IMG] And absolutely adorable chicks, by the way.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Scrap! [​IMG]

The poop looks fine, and as you read from the poop expert, poop changes all the time, from one hour to the next. Don't be alarmed. All we EVER fed our chicks was non-medicated chick start (personal choice) They do not an antibiotic unless they have a problem or illness.

My little chicks perched on my finger on the second day!! Cute lil buggers aren't they?

4. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    the poop looks normal and you don't need meds unless they are sick.

5. scrapnfool

scrapnfool Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2009
    Rogersville, MO
    Thanks for the response thus far. That's the direction I was leaning. Just spent the last hour doing some major bonding with the "girls" (I hope) We think the majority of them are pullets, but not sure on all.

We ended up with so many, we are now thinking we are going to also have to add on to the newly built coop!! It's a never ending process, but so much fun!

Here's our web page if you want to take a look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=23516

Thanks again for your thoughts and advice.

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    scrapnfool - Your chicks are soooo cute.
    'm a 1st time chick mom too, its so exciting!

7. Terri

Terri Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Level Cross, NC
    scrapnfool, your door looks like mine. I got my chicks Wednesday, they are so funny. It looks like it will be rainning until Tuesday so not work on our coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by