new chick mommy...

nanikdesigns

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
I have 3 chick's from a litter of 10. They are maybe a month old. Only 1 black from all 10. Been feeding them chicken feed... noticed the black one last week has a little blood in his stuff. Today his tummy is HUGE. I dunno if it's because he's a rooster, ( if he is I'm just guessing), did someone 'help' me and feed them something or let them out and he ate something... it is this normal? I dunno what to do... the other 2 are fine.

Welcome to BYC. A little more information will help us to help you. When you say you are feeding "chicken feed" - what, specifically, are you feeding -- is it chick starter, grower ration, layer feed, scratch grain? The blood in feces and a suddenly swollen abdomen would not be related to gender, no - but both could be indicative of something serious. Is the "huge tummy" over his entire abdominal area or is it a large "lump" that has appeared on one side of his chest area? If it's the latter you may be noticing a full crop. Can you take and post some photos of your birds?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I'd suggesting re-posting, in as much details as you can your problem on the "Emergencies,Diseases, Injuries and Cures" forum. A pic of the poo in question may also help.

good luck
CT

In posting on the ER site - a photo of the big tummy or crop whichever shows in the picture, would help as a diagnostic aid.

Sorry just hurrying.... it's a whole swollen abdomen. Not the gullet. And it's dark dark red.... it doesn't look healthy or the same like the other chickens. He seems fine not sick or sluggish at all. I will try to get a pic.

Thanks! They all seem fine. :) I live in Hawaii where chickens run like crazy all over. They caught a momma and 10 chicks, and they are in a little cage... I took 3 out and have been raising them myself. :) So I'm learning as I go. Some great info! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom