new chick moves along on belly with feet and wings all over like a swimmer?

newbee chick01

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 14, 2011
hi,, ive got a newly hatched silkie thats not standing.it moves it self arround the bator belly first with its wings and feet flapping.its feet are not spead outwards but sort of infront of it while making its move.although at 1st i thought it was cute after 10 hours i`m starting to worry that something might be wrong.
has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong and what i can do if it can be fixed?

I have never heard of this before, i could see how it could make you nervous. There isn't much you can do I guess. Maybe try standing him up and Kinna show him how to do it. Again this has never happened to me so I don't know exactly what to do. sorry, good luck.

I'd give it a full 24-36 hours. I hatched last Friday and I had 3 that would scootch around on their bellys instead of walking. By the time they were fully dry and cotton ball fluffed, they were shakily walking and now, I can't tell which ones were the troubled. I figured they just had a harder time getting out of their shell and were exhausted. It just took a while for their strength to come.

that one definately looks like it will have to be culled. I hatched one like that one time from another breeder and remember someone telling me its a slipped tendon. I examined the chick next to the other chicks and it actually looked to me like the legs were deformed. the tops of the legs were much to short. The little one was not able to eat at all and I should have culled right away but didnt have the heart and it died 2 days later. Poor chickie.
hit.gif

I should clarify that it couldnt eat because it couldnt walk to the food and water dishes and when I put it near, the other chicks would push it out of the way.

poor little thing.... I don't know much about chickens but that one does look ill.

But I guess give it 24 hours to see if it has better luck when it is completely dry?

really dont know what to do as its still the same :( it moves along on its belly and then sits up.its managing to eat and drink but does seem to sleep alot more than the other chick.it doesnt seem to put its feet on the floor.i`m thinking it might be deformed but i`m worried as i`ve only got 2 chicks and i`ve heard that chicks do not do well on there own:( i`m going to keep giving it vitamin drops and see if it picks up atall.fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom