new chick - neck swelling, falling over

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bisbeej, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bisbeej

bisbeej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    Hi everyone,

I have a new chick - 2 days old - that is not looking well. He walks around, eats, drinks and chirps. His head seems like it's too heavy for him and he toddles when he walks, sometimes falling over. He was pretty messy when he hatched and never really fluffed up because he was sticky with yolk and fluid. I gave him a gentle bath in warm water with a bit of Aveeno baby shampoo. He seemed to enjoy it. Once he was all wet, I could see this large swelling on the side of his neck. It looks like a blister, but it's pretty big. You can see clear fluid in it. It was hiding under his neck feathers. I can't find anything like it when I search online, so I don't know what it is.

I dried him off with a hair drier on low. As the day has gone on, he seems less able to hold his head up and is even toppling over to the side. I assume that there isn't much I can do for the little guy other than make him as comfortable as possible, but if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. [​IMG]

Thank you,

Jill

2. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    my thought is some sort of improper absorption of egg contents.
    could be a form of hydrocephalus (fluid build up around the brain).
    either way..it doesn't sound good.

others might have ideas for you.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I am assuming he had not eaten when you saw that and so that would seem to indicate to e that it might be from gulping in air when he was hatching ... I remember reading about this in an AVIAN MEDICINE by Harrison... I do not recall what the advice for treatment was though...I will have a look and see if I can refind the passage for you.
    What that bird needs though is help from you to ensure it does not become dehydrated and eats sufficiently. If you want to save it , it will take quite a bit of input and time from you... I am willing to help you wiht info if you have the time to invest on regularly dribbling water along beak and helping to handfeed if necessary to ensure he gets sufficient nutrients.

4. bisbeej

Jun 4, 2008
    Thank you! Yes, please, I am more than willing to invest the time to save the little guy if possible. I brought him to the vet this morning. They kept an eye on him all day and gave him fluids via IV. She said that the pocket is called the crop and explained it is for storing and digesting food. I guess it's a normal thing!

He is definitely very weak, especially in comparison to the other chicks hatched at the same time. They are all 3-4 days old and the strong ones are growing new feathers, eating like pigs. This little one still looks straggly and has a bump where his navel should be. He doesn't eat very much, though he will drink if I dip the top of his beak in water. He isn't eating right now - he seems more interested in sleeping. He falls over quite often.

I have him in a separate box from the others. The temp is registering at 105, though I don't think it's that hot. There is no draft in the area and the humidity is very low. He has water in a small container with marbles, and chick mash in another container with some marbles for weight. The box is lined with a newspaper and paper towels on top of that.

Thank you for any and all help!

5. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    sorry...I misread your post..

does the crop feel hard? or like it has a lump in it?
    please describe the droppings ..color and consistency.

I would moisten the feed with warm water, and place small dabs on or in the beak..stroke the neck downwards to encourage swallowing.

Try and get some Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins (Enfamil brand..no iron)..give 2 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off.
    in the meantime, try and get some chick vitamins to add to the water.

Give water by using an eye dropper, drops on beak..

some here suggest giving scrambled egg, and handfeeding.
    It might be a good idea to have another chick in with this chick..they get very upset and lonely when

they are alone..and don't eat as well.
    do check the temp..105 is too hot.

dlhunicorn or others might have better ideas for you.

6. bisbeej

Jun 4, 2008
    Thank you for your help. I was able to get fluids into him and get the temperature regulated, but he was just too weak and passed away in the evening. [​IMG]

7. sammi

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    so sorry...
    poor little chickie...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by