1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New chick, need help a.s.a.p.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Iancasarez, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Iancasarez

Iancasarez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2010
    I have 5 chicks that have hatched over the past 3days, all are healthy and progressing well except for one that hatched this morning. It fluffed out just fine and was looking good but it's started laying on its stomach with both legs out behind it. I tried to help it stand but it just goes back to its stomach. It walks around on its own every now and then but for the most part it just tries to scoot on its stomach. When I pick it up it lets its legs just dangle down instead of holding them out or tucking them up like the other chicks do. The rest were walking around by the time they were the age of this one so it has me a little concerned. Can anyone tell me what might be going on here and what I can try to remedy it?

Update: Its been about 8 hours now since it's hatched, maybe more, I just checked it out again and it almost seems like it's hip joints are dislocated making it's feet point out behind instead of down under the body. If I cant help it and this doesn't work out on it's own I imagine it'll just end up dying in a few days from lack of food/water so any advice asap would be great

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. lovetocook

lovetocook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Washington, NJ
    I have no experience with this so I have no advice but I will gladly give you a bump. Good luck with the little chick.[​IMG]

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I dont have any experience either but could it be a form of spadle leg? At least this will bump up your message so someone can help. Good Luck

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    [​IMG] hmm.... wish i knew

5. Iancasarez

Jan 23, 2010
    I googled spraddle leg and this looks pretty similar but what I was reading said it usually develops once the bird has been walking around, mine was like this soon after it hatched. I would upload a pic of it but im not sure how to

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  7. Iancasarez

Jan 23, 2010
    I looked up how to brace the legs if it is spraddle leg but a big part of the problem is that it just isn't standing. I have them tied so they're straight but they're still just sticking out from behind. heres a pic from earlier before I tied the legs. [​IMG]

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Others may have ideas for you, so I'm giving you a bump.
    In your shoes, I would seriously consider culling the poor thing to put it out of misery.
    Sorry. [​IMG]

9. Iancasarez

Jan 23, 2010
    I'm thinking it may come to that. Still 4 out of 6 is a fairly sucessful hatch i'd say

10. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    did u try putting him in a coffee cup?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by