New Chick Noises

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rachealx4, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    So my chicks are making a new noise this week. It's a trill...kind of like a quiet tree frog sound.

Has anyone else heard this? Is it a happy sound or a "you're annoying me" sound?

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I usually hear soft trilling when they are settling down for the night, like they have found their comfy place beside their favorite cuddle buddy. Soft trills, I believe are happy sounds,

3. Rachealx4

Rachealx4 Songster

Mar 11, 2018
    East Central Missouri
    Yes! It is the sweetest little sound.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  4. Scottiemom

Scottiemom Chirping

Mar 20, 2014
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    I have been able to differentiate a few little noises. The cute, little trill is usually when they are snuggling down and are content. There is also a louder call but it doesn't sound like they're frightened and it is usually when the lights start going off for the night. I think of it as the "come to bed" call. Then there's the excited "I got something neat" peep, too. Still watching and listening to figure out some of the other noises. So fun to learn from the little fuzzy butts!

Wyorp Rock and Henriettamom919 like this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    One of my two Americana chicks makes the cutest little trill that almost sounds like a wild bird song! I think it's just a sound of general contentment. They've all been perfecting their predator purr, which is also adorable but usually just from sighting a crow or bluejay.

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: