New chick not doing well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Toxic Chicken, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Toxic Chicken

Toxic Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island
    Im a first time chicken mom. They arrived today, 2 days late (hatched Monday).
    I thought one of the chicks was dead, then I saw it breathing. I have been dripping molasses water in its beak and she drank it and let out a few peeps but she can't stand on her own. The other 5 are ok, they were week but are drinking and eating. Yes I know it's my fault for ordering chicks this time of year but at the time I ordered I thought it must be ok if the chicken people are shipping at this time (I guess they don't care if they all live). Plus I thought they were coming from Connecticut wich is very close to me and our winter has been more like spring. Well they came from a hatchery in Ohio and they had a snow storm so babies were late getting to me. Next time I will go to a chicken show and buy them in person or get from a local breeder, but for now is there anything else I can do for my half dead chick?

2. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    If you have some VetRX rub a little on its beck. You will be surprised on how well that works.

3. Toxic Chicken

Toxic Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island
    She didn't make it. :(

4. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Sorry![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by