New Chick not drinking

chickenzz

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
We got 8 chicks on Wednesday morning (shipped on Monday) and one of them does not seem to be drinking. We are home all day and have been monitoring them with a webcam.

All the other chicks seem to be drinking.

This chick is the smallest chick in a mixed order of bantam and standard day-old chicks. She is a black frizzled bantam cochin.
She seems a little less active than the other chicks but still runs around and is eating, and she chirps a lot. We dipped the very tip of her beak in the water on two separate occasions, but she recoils and we have yet to see her actually drink.

All the chicks are together in a properly heated animal feed tank with pine shavings.

Thanks for the reply.

We actually did get the chick to drink!

For those dealing with a similar issue, we got nutri-dense and a second waterer from tractor supply co tonight. The chick started drinking out of after about an hour and has been drinking heavily since.

You can see the primary waterer in the background--its much larger than the one we added the nutri-dense to.

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 2
Interesting. I wonder perhaps if it's the color of the other water or the design. I use the ones like you just bought, at first, than go up to the bigger one after a few weeks. I'm glad it's drinking now. :)

Back
Top Bottom