New chick not using 1 leg: **Pictures****

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JodiLynn, Sep 20, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    I had 6 chicks hath last Fri/Sat and this was my first hatch. My temp stayed great but during lockdown DH opened bator not realizing what it could do. I assume this had something to do with 2 chicks hatching with crooked toes. I also did an eggtopsy on other eggs and they seemed to have lived until probably day 18 or 19 :( .....I splinted the legs/toes and one chick bounced right back and is now better then ever. The other chick who we have named "Stitch" needed both legs splinted, one leg is now straight and working fine but the other he is not using at all. When he hatched there was a small open sore on the elbow of the leg. He holds it up close to his body and gets around on one foot. I still have the splint on but it doesnt seem to be doing much. He eats and drinks but does seem to sleep alot (possibly more than the other) Is there anything else I can do for him? I hate to end his little life as I feel like our mistakes caused this and he is eating and drinking but any advice would be appriciated!

Does anyone have experience with this? How will is quality of life be? I have seen photos on here of chicks with curved toes but none quite like stitch.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Yes I will get a picture but it will be after school (around 6) his toes are curled in and he holds his leg up. Will post pics later! He is already a favorite around the farm

3. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    Adorable by the way!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Okay, I'll check back at that time, and thanks :)

5. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

This is Stitch. He eats and drinks and is the same size as the others. Just holds his leg up and this happens with/without the splint. They only thing that the spint seems to be helping is the curving of the toes. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JodiLynn

Jul 13, 2012
    I think this needs to be in the other forum but I am not sure how to move it there?

7. aoxa

I'll report it as misposted and the moderators will fix it :)

8. aoxa

Done.

Could he not be using his leg because of the tape on his foot?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by