New chick owner found screaming and tearing hair out

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by champer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    lol, that was me last night, trying to wrangle 13 free ranging 7-wk old chick back to their brooder in the workshop! The chicks were supposed to be in a pen in the yard, but due to a breech of perimeter by a sheep looking for free chick food, they were all over the yard and it was getting late in the day. I tried luring them to their nighttime accomodations with sweet talk, treats, no go. I tried shooing them in the right direction, nope. I got the dog to help herd them, ha ha chicks flying everywhere. By that time it was dark and I was frantic, in a last ditch effort, I ran out waving a big towel and hollering and scared those rascals right back into the broken pen where I was able to pick them up and return them to nice cozy brooder. I returned to the house much relieved and poured a much needed drink.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Wish you had a video of it!! I use a hocky stick to herd my chickens in. But, being that young, they flip out at the slightest things! Thanks for the laugh of the day.

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG] I wish you'd taken video. I bet it was hilarious (to an onlooker). Not so funny to you til it was over.

4. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Definitely not funny at the time, but I'm laughing this morning... on my way to the store to get a butterfly net or hockey stick.

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    A net will work great, especially at that size. A pool net would be good. You could also get a fishing net and just throw it over them...

Sorry you had to go through it but thanks for the laugh! I can relate trying to herd my runner ducks into their house each night...finally gave up and let them sleep out in the run.

And it makes a great story for you to tell all your firends, relatives, etc. [​IMG]

7. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    [​IMG]

LOL God... I can picture myself doing that ... only in my case I would probibly have to also add... yelling&crying as I panic my way around the yard to the description.

8. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    lol Wish I could have seen it. Glad to hear you got them all in and you have a good sense of humor about it :)

9. champer

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Apparently I am a masochist, I decided to just let them free range yesterday as it was off and on rainy and they would be able to get shelter in a number of places. As evening approached, I began to regret my decision, but just before dark they all huddled in 1 spot (poor things, their feet were like ice cubes) and let me pick them up and bring them to their brooder. Woot! Today's goal is to get them to go in by themselves.

10. Great story, thanks for sharing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by