New Chick owner needs some advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rejoicing, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rejoicing

rejoicing New Egg

Apr 13, 2009
    Hi, we just got our first chicks last week. 1 BO and 5 "Araucanas" hich I think are really EE? I have been researching all the adviece on here about peeps, but I still have a few questions.

After hearing mixed reviews about pine shavings I decided to hold off on using it....anyone have any insight in that?

Also...what can be done for chick-diahrrea? Some of yours seem to be having runny poo, but are otherwise fine. Is this from the medicated feeed?

And finally, can we feed them peanuts in the shell for fun...the kids are looking for new ideas to play with and entertain them.
    Thanks!

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

First, yes your "Araucanas" are most likely EE's unless you got them from a breeder.

My chickens have been on pine shavings since the beginning with no problems. For the first week, I kept paper towels on top of the shavings and changed out the paper towels pretty often to keep it clean and not stinky.

Are you sure they have diarrhea? Are you familiar with cecal poop (sp?) It's kind of yellowish and really stinky. All chicks have those...I think it's about once a day. If it's not that cecal poo stuff, then just watch them carefully to make sure they don't show other signs of cocci or some other illness.

About the peanuts, I have no idea...it seems like they would be way too big and be a choking hazard??? For treats and fun, I like to give mine crickets or mealworms. They also LOOOOOVE hard boiled eggs.

3. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:How about an earth worm? I read somewhere on this site that they are fine for young chicks.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hi and welcome to BYC.
    Here's a chart w/pics so you can see what's normal chicken poo and what's not:

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I never had a problem with having my chicks on pine shavings from day one. Some folks put paper towels down on top of the shavings for the first few days until they learn where their food is. Cedar shavings are the ones to avoid. The aromatic oils in cedar can cause respiratory problems in poultry.
    Though peanuts are fine for grown chickens, they'd probably be a little hard to digest for the chicks. Chopped hard boiled egg and plain yogurt are good first treats. If you are having a problem with diarrhea, the yogurt may help.

6. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    My chicks have also been on pine shavings since day 1 with no problems. It works about the best.

7. rejoicing

rejoicing New Egg

Apr 13, 2009
    Thanks everyone!!! Thanks for the poo links--apparently they are OK! [​IMG] I am so glad there are pics like that out there for us nooB's!

We had them on pine shavings, but they were eating quite a bit of them, so now they are on paper towels over them. ETA: oh and they were the fine sawdust kind, not the bigger chip kind.

I asked-because we have a HUGE bag of peanuts in the shell that no one else in my family will eat! LOL! So big chickens can eat them in the shell?

We ended up going with a giant clump of grass and dirt! Fun Fun!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by