new chick owner - new coop builder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shaggy, May 11, 2009.

1. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    so i got 4 baby chicks --- my best guess is they are RIR's

now I am building the coop/run

i live in town so I have to keep it somewhat stealth --- i finished building most of the frame yesterday - but still have a ways to go.

it will be 8 feet long - 3 feet wide - on the outsides it will be 4 feet tall and in the middle it will be 6 feet tall .... i think they call it an A-Frame.

the run is underneath the coop --- 2'6" tall - 3 feet wide - 8 feet long

the coop covers the same area -- but with the vaulted ceiling it will be a bit higher (for roosting?)

a few questions i have .....

how many full grown chickens should go in there?
    what do you do when your coop/run sits on cement?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I forget how many SQ ft per chicken is best, but for the 4 you have it will probably work. As for the cement, I would put down either pine shavings or straw, especially under the roost, so when they jump down they don't hurt their feet.

Try to get them to eat treats from your hand and get them to tolerate you picking them up. I have a particular whistle I use that brings them running to me for treats. The tamer they are, the less likely the neighbors will complain and you can say they are pets, not livestock.

Good luck with them & be sure to posts pics of the coop........

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I wouldn't put more than 4 in that size coop. They will be happier. I would love a concrete floor. Just hose it off when the poop starts to build up. You could also just scoop it up with a flat shovel. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

4. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

awesome place you guys/gals got here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by