New Chick owner :)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnimalLover1049, Sep 25, 2016.

1. AnimalLover1049

AnimalLover1049 New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    California, USA
    Hi there! So I'm new to BYC, and also new to being a chick owner. I got some baby chicks two days ago, and they're a little under two weeks old. The pet store that I got them from gave me some basic instructions and I set up a cardboard box with some food and a water bottle for them with wood shavings for bedding. I also got them a 60 watt heat lamp and a little perch that they like to sit on. I was wondering if any of you experienced owners had any tips and advice for me ^_^ also, the chicks seem pretty bored and they constantly peck at the cardboard all day. Should I give them any treats? Are they too young for treats? I've taken them outside for about an hour and they seemed to like the grass and pecking at some stuff in the grass. But I can't do that all the time because I don't have an enclosed area for them. Is it an issue if they peck at the cardboard or dig up all their shavings into a pile? Should I do anything about it? I appreciate any help being given and I might have a few more questions later. :)[​IMG]

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you. Consider introducing yourself over at the New Member Introductions forum for a full welcome.

Pecking and scratching is normal behavior. I'd hold off on treats until they are at least 6-8 weeks of age. They need the benefit of a full starter ration until then. Even after that treats shouldn't exceed 10% of the diet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by