New chick owner

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tweetyburd122, Apr 12, 2017.

1. tweetyburd122

tweetyburd122 Just Hatched

Apr 9, 2017
    I'm a new to owning chicks I have two 3-4 week old chicks that I just got and I was wondering do I keep them under the heat lamp 24/7?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - and to chicken keeping.
    At 3-4 weeks your birds are getting close to the point where supplemental heat is no longer going to be needed, but they aren't necessarily there now. Can you take and post some photos of them so we can see how feathered out they are? What is your general location/climate? This, along with their current feathering, will factor into how soon they will be able to cope without extra warmth.

3. tweetyburd122

Apr 9, 2017

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

They yellow one doesn't really have that much feathers on its wings yet

4. Welcome to BYC and they kook to be more like four or five days old . Like OGM said four weeks they will have more feathers . keep them warm. They look content . so the temperature is good .

5. tweetyburd122

Apr 9, 2017
    That's what my boyfriend was saying the lady we bought them from said they were four weeks old and were born on 3/28

6. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Those chicks look way younger than 4 weeks. At 4 weeks they would be pretty well on their way to being feathered out. Here is a pic of my chicks when they were 5 weeks...

[​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You don't really need to know how old your chicks are when trying to determine if they need heat or not.

Chicks still covered mostly in fuzzy down will need a heat source because down isn't an insulator against loss of body heat. If you have chicks with a good covering of feathers on back, underneath and head, they're ready to go live outside without heat.

Anywhere in between downy fuzz and complete feather cover, the chicks will need a heat source to replace lost body heat.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by