New chick owner

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mom79, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Mom79

Mom79 New Egg

Jan 22, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I have 7 chicks! 1 month old
    Can anyone help with what they thing their breeds are?[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Where did you get these chicks? They are all looking like mixes, except for perhaps the red/white bird in the last photo (but I think that its a mix too).

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I agree knowing where they came from could be helpful as there are some indiscrepancies with breed types.

Right now...the first bird might be a Cuckoo Marans (mix) and looks to be a pullet.

The 2nd bird looks to be a developing roo...possibly a Crested Legbar/Cuckoo Marans mix (if someone were attempting for Olive Eggers).

3rd bird is like the first...probably a Cuckoo Marans (mix)

4th bird...not sure about that one...leg color is wrong for body color...mix of something...but looks to be pullet now...however watch that one as that is quite a bit of comb

5th bird may be a Crested Cream Legbar pullet

6th bird is definitely a roo...might be a Production Red going through a molt phase...but that is a lot of white for just molt... it looks to be a 2nd generation RSL rooster or barnyard mix.

But that's my guesses without knowing some background info. Overall it looks like someone's backyard breeding program with a lot of barnyard mixing.

I like my barnyard mixes. Hybrid vigor is a good thing, and they add a lot of color to the yard....but that's not a good thing if you were paying for purebreeds.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

5. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by