New chick owner

countrymomma008

In the Brooder
May 9, 2015
kansas city.ks
HI everyone!I am getting some chicks tomorrow and I cant be more ecited!I was wondering if anyone had any advice to get my little girls off to a good start.I am purchasing them from a farm store.So if you have any good advice I would greatly appreciate it!

welcome-byc.gif
You'll learn a lot just by owning chickens, but be sure to give them extra TLC! If you hold chicks and get them used to being around you at a young age, usually they will be friendly adults.

Glad you joined!

Welcome to BYC - what an exciting time for you! Have you decided on what breeds you are going to start with? You've come to the right place to start your chicken adventure off on the right foot - BYC is full of great information. Be sure to stop by The Learning Center here on the site.

One suggestion I would make is that if you have not started on your coop/run build, do so now -- it's quite common to get the chicks and plan on getting things done before they are ready to get out of the brooder and then find yourself scrambling because you are caught off guard at how quickly those chicks have grown.

Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you could join BYC! Congratulations on the beginnings of your chicken adventures. I hope your new chicks all arrive safely and settle into their new home. Mountain Peeps has given you some good links to check out. Definitely browse through the Learning Center articles on Raising Baby Chicks: Hatching Eggs And Raising Chicks It has lots of good information for new chicken keepers. If you can't find answers to questions, just ask! We'll be happy to help in any way we can.

Do you know what breed's you're getting yet?

Good luck with your future chicks and enjoy BYC!
smile.png

Thank you everyone!well I found a farm store that sells them so I went this morning and bought some I got:
Two barred playmouth rocks
Two speckled sussex
Two amercaunas(sp?)
I had a little trouble getting the temp just right bit I think I have it now.any advice on what to do now since I have them home and happy?is handling to much bad for them?how long should I let them adjest before messing with them?
Oh and Happy Mother's Day to all the mommas.

Thank you everyone!well I found a farm store that sells them so I went this morning and bought some I got:
Two barred playmouth rocks
Two speckled sussex
Two amercaunas(sp?)
I had a little trouble getting the temp just right bit I think I have it now.any advice on what to do now since I have them home and happy?is handling to much bad for them?how long should I let them adjest before messing with them?
Oh and Happy Mother's Day to all the mommas.

What a lovely little flock you will have! I am quite jealous of the specked sussex, they were on my "must have" list for this spring's additions to the flock, but I was unable to find any so I'm putting it off to next year. The "Ameraucana" you got are actually Easter Eggers, it's a common misrepresentation for hatchery and farm store birds -- the good news is, it is actually a good thing as EE tend to be more prolific layers than purebred Ameraucana so you will have more of the pretty (blue/green) eggs you were looking for. I also quite like the variety of colors and patterns that you get in EE over Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom